India opened its medal tally in the 21st edition of Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast Thursday, April 5, with a silver in weightlifting.
The Commonwealth Championships 2017 bronze medalist Gururaja finished on the second step of the podium after achieving a personal best of 249kg in the 56kg men's weightlifting event. He lifted 111kg in snatch and completed 138kg in his third attempt in clean and jerk.
Meanwhile, India women's hockey team suffered a 3-2 defeat in their Pool A opener against Wales. The Asian giants conceded two goals early in the match but came back strong in the third quarter to go on level with their opposition only to concede a heartbreaking third goal in the final quarter.
Meanwhile, Indian badminton unit got off to a flying start by demolishing Sri Lanka 5-0 in Group A of Mixed Team Event. Despite resting PV Sindhu, India had no troubles in clinching a convincing win over their lower-ranked opponents.
Check out the complete schedule and results of Indian athletes on Day 1 at Gold Coast below.
Mixed Team Badminton
- India defeated Sri Lanka 5-0 in the morning session.
- India vs Pakistan - 2:31 pm IST/7:01 pm local time
- India women lost 3-2 to Wales in the morning session.
- Women's basketball
- India vs Jamaica - 2:03 pm IST/6:33 pm local time.
- Men's basketball
- India vs Cameroon - 3:30 pm IST/8 pm local time.
- Cycling - 4000m Team Pursuit - 10.12 am IST, 2:33 pm local time (Qualification)
- Time: 3 pm IST, 7:30 pm local time (Final)
- Team: Aleena Reji, Deborah Herold, Manorama Devi, Amritha Reghunath
- Cycling - Team Sprint - 12:04 pm IST, 4:34 pm local time (Qualification)
- Time: 4:28 pm IST, 9:08 pm (Final)
- Team: Ranjit Singh, Sahil Kumar, Sanuraj P, Manjeet Singh
- Cycling - Women Team Sprint - 11:54 am IST, 4:24 pm local time (Qualification)
- Time: 4:21 pm IST, 8:51 pm local time (Final)
- Team: Deborah Herold, Aleena Reji
- Men's Team Final and Individual Qualification
- Rakesh Patra, Yogeshwar Singh, Ashish Kumar
- Time: 4.38 am IST, 10:08 am local time.
- Men's 50m Butterfly -- Sajan Prakash, Virdhawal Khade
- Time: 6.57 am IST, 10:27 am local time - 1st Heat; 4:22 pm IST, 8:52 pm local time - 1st semi-final
- Men's 100m Backstroke -- Srihari Nataraj
- Time: 7.24 am IST, 11:54 am local time - 1st Heat; 4.52 pm IST, 9:22 pm local time - 1st Semi-final
- Men's 56kg category - Gururaja won silver medal.
- Women's 48 kg category - Saikhom Mirabai Chanu
- Time: 9.42 am IST, 3:12 pm local time
- Men's 62 kg category - Muthupandi Raja
- Time: 2:12 pm IST, 6:42 pm local time
- 69kg Round of 32: Manoj Kumar vs Osita Umeh
- Time: 3:17pm IST, 7:45pm local time
- Team Group and Knockout Stage
- Time: 4 am IST to 10 am and 11:30 am IST to 4:30 pm IST
- Squash Singles Preliminary
- Time: 8 am IST to 12 pm IST and 1:30 pm IST to 5 pm IST
Men's singles Round of 64
- Harinder Pal Sandhu vs Cameron Stafford
- Time: 9:20am IST, 1:50pm local time
- Vikram Malhotra vs Manda Chilambwe
- Time: 10:40am IST, 3:10pm local time
Men's singles Round of 32
- Sourav Ghoshal vs TBD
- Time: 1:30pm IST, 6pm lcoal time
Women's singles R32
- Joshna Chinappa vs Lynette Vai
- Time: 2:10pm IST, 6:40pm local time
- Dipika Pallikal vs Charlotte Knaggs
- Time: 2:10pm IST, 6:40pm local time
- Men's Pairs Section D - Round 1
- India vs Malaysia - 11:30am IST, 5pm local time
- Women's Fours Section B - Round 1
- India vs Northern Ireland - 11:30pam IST, 5pm local time
- Women's Fours Section B - Round 2
- India vs Malta - 2:30pm IST, 7pm local time
- Men's Pairs Section D - Round 2
- India vs Niue - 2:30pm IST, 7pm local time
How to watch Commonwealth Games 2018 Day 1 action on TV, online
India: TV - Sony Six, Sony Ten 2; Live stream: Sony Liv
Indian sub-continent: Ten Sports
Australia: TV - Channel Seven; Live stream: 7CommonGames
UK: TV - BBC; Live stream: BBC online, Red Button
South Africa: TV - SuperSport Six; Live stream: SuperSport live
New Zealand: TVNZ