Prolific mobile software developers, AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) have released a v4.4.4 KitKat custom ROM to the 2013 flagship smartphone Google Nexus 5.
According to Team Android, the new custom ROM (from AICP) is said to be based on v4.4.4 KitKat OS and comes with loads of customisation options such as:
- Active Display (as we see in Moto X)
- Halo (floating notifications feature)
- System app remover option
- ADB Paranoia mode
- Ad blocker
- Wakelock blocker
- Omni Switch
- TRDS Dark switch
- AOKP features
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM in to the device):
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation [Also Read: Root Google Nexus 5 with Android v4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P via CF-Auto-Root]
- This Android 4.4.4 KitKat AICP custom firmware has to be installed on the LG-Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (LG-Google Galaxy Nexus 5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 4.4.4 KitKat AICP custom ROM for Google-LG Nexus 5:
Step 1: Download Android 4.4.4 KitKat AICP custom ROM (here) in to the PC.
Step 2: Connect Google-LG Nexus 5 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat custom ROM zip into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery.]
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'volume up', 'volume down' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google-LG Nexus 5) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users, then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android 4.4.4 KitKat AICP Custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]