A new Android 4.4.4 KitKat NeatROM custom firmware has been made available to the Samsung's 2012 flagship smartphone Galaxy S3 (I9300).
Early in the year, Samsung officially abandoned the software service support to the Galaxy S3 (with Exynos chipset) international 3G variant due to lack of RAM capacity, but fret not, there are numerous custom ROMs in the internet, which come with sleek customisation and performance enhancing tweaks. Among them, NeatROM is one of the popular custom mobile software.
The NeatROM v6 (4.4.4) custom firmware is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is said to bring customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, easy access to key apps and loads of personalisation options such as:
- Lock-screen shortcut options
- Notification drawer shortucts
- The Real Dark Slim Themes (compiled from latest SlimKat repos)
- Full hardware key rebinding
- Nova launcher
- IPv6 tethering support
- Darker camera - colour filter options, gps indicator, picture quality, smart capture, shutter sound and more
- Phasebeam LiveWallpaper
- Media-scanner behaviour on boot
- IME selector notification
- Volume rocker wake-up option
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM in to the device):
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This Android 4.4.4 KitKat NeatROM custom firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (Exynos chipset) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android v4.4.4 KitKat NeatROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300:
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat NeatROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'volume (up)', 'home' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android v4.4.4 KitKat NeatROM Custom firware.
[Credits: Team Android]