A new Android 4.4.4 KitKat CleanROM custom firmware has been made available to Asus' 2013 flagship tablet Google Nexus 7.
The new custom firmware (CleanROM) is said to be based on v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is deo-Odex'ed and ART compatible. It also comes with loads of customization options such as-
- Init.d support
- ADB remount
- FSTRIM on reboot
- ROM defaults to Dalvik (for compatibility)
- Pre-rooted with Busybox binaries
- Comes with run-time libraries and Qualcomm optimizations
- Users will also be able to remove Chrome, QuickOffice, Gmail, Hangouts and many other pre-installed apps.
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisite (things to remember before the installation of custom ROM in the smartphone):
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This Android v4.4.4 KitKat CleanROM custom firmware has to be installed only on Asus-Google Nexus 7 (2013) model only [To check your model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before installing the Custom ROM. [Read More: Root Google Nexus 7 (2013 Edition) with Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84L]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of whole data in the device, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Google Nexus 7 2013) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of the device getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) of Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or may even lead to the device being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if smartphones get bricked. Hence users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 4.4.4 KitKat CleanROM custom firmware for the Google Nexus 7 2013:
Step 1: Download Android 4.4.4 KitKat CleanROM custom firmware (here) in to the PC.
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 7 2013 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android v4.4.4 KitKat Custom ROM zip file and into the device's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery.]
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'volume up', 'volume down' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the device memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google Nexus 7 2013) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to Settings >> select About device to confirm the installation of Android 4.4.4 KitKat CleanROM custom firmware.
[Credits: Team Android]