A new Android v4.4.4 BSZKitKat custom ROM has been made available to the Asus' 2012 flagship tablet Google Nexus 7.
According to Team Android, the new BSZKitKat custom firmware is Odexed and Deodexed and based on Android v4.4.4 KitKat. It brings in with loads of customisation options such as
- Busybox v1.21.1 (for Trickster MOD)
- SuperSU 1.94 with latest SU binary
- FOTAKill.apk in /system/app to prevent future OTA notifications
- Performance tweaks and a lot more improvements to enhance the user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new Android 4.4.4 BSZKitKat custom ROM has to be installed on the Google Nexus 7 (2012) model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your tablet (Google Nexus 7 2012) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 4.4.4 BSZKitKat Custom ROM on the Asus-Google Nexus 7 2012:
Step 1: Download Android 4.4.4 BSZKitKat custom ROM (HERE) in to the PC.
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 7 2013 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the tablet to the computer, be sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android v4.4.4 KitKat Custom ROM zip file into the device's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery.]
Step 4: Now turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Volume (down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the device memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google Nexus 7 2012) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to Settings >> select About device to confirm the installation of Android 4.4.4 BSZKitKat custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]