Remember when Daniel Radcliffe was puny and struggled to stay out of trouble in the Harry Potter movies? Well, he's all grown up and is now a handsome man of 26. The wizard hero of the fantasy series written by J K Rowling has a glorious decade-and-a-half to look back on, one in which he accomplished so many things that most of us couldn't even in our dizziest dreams. From starring in the Harry Potter franchise to excelling in Broadway plays and more recently, owning his credentials as a rap star, he has come a long way.
But how did it all start for him?
Radcliffe, born with beautiful blue eyes and a tuft of messy brown hair, is the offspring of Alan George Radcliffe, a literary agent and Marcia Jeannine Gresham, a casting call agent. He grew up in a liberal household and attended independent schools in London until his acting career took over. Although he achieved A grades in his AS levels , he decided against a college degree, unlike his fellow co-star Emma Watson who graduated from Brown University.
Acting, rather, the desire to act, was so strong in Radcliffe that he made his debut in BBC's televised show of Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations". The role of Harry Potter came a year later.
Since then, the young actor has come a long way from being a shy wizard to a charming adult. Here are a few lesser-known facts about him.
- His two Border Terrier dogs are named Binka and Nugget.
- He loves fish, in particular, tuna.
- He has a sweet tooth and his favourite dessert is the classic flavour combination of vanilla ice-cream topped with chocolate sauce.
- He is a huge music fan. His favourite music bands are The Sex Pistols, David Bowie, Deftones, Johnny Cash, The Killers and The Strokes, among others.
- His favourite football team is Fullham Football Club.
- He had a crush on his co-star Emma Watson when he first met her.
- He masqueraded as Spider Man at Comic Con in San Diego this year.
- Radcliffe was removed from the set during the Ron and Hermoine kissing scene because he couldn't stop laughing.
- His favourite prop from the Harry Potter movies is a pair of round glasses.
- He was nicknamed "Harry Puffer" on the Harry Potter sets due to his smoking addiction.