In late 2015, Google officially disbanded software update service to the Nexus 7 (2012) as the device was more than three years old and hence, it was not eligible to receive the Android Marshmallow.
That being said, people who are still hanging on to the Nexus 7 (2012) can experience the new OS by installing custom ROMs that are available in Internet. Among them, BeanStalk series firmware is one of the most popular out there.
Salient features of BeanStalk Android Marshmallow OS:
- System UI tuner
- original BeanStalk Wallpapers (developed by skyliner33v)
- App circle bar
- Built-in Task Manager switcher
- Customisable navigation bar
- Gesture anywhere feature
- CyanogenMod based performance tweaks
- Developer options and advanced reboot enabled by default
- Toast animation feature
- Do not disturb feature
Pre-requisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new BeanStalk Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM series has to be installed on Google Nexus 7 (2012) model only; if tried on other devices, it might bricked them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC, or else your device (Google Nexus 7) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of BeanStalk Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on Google Nexus 7 (2012) model:
Step 1: Download BeanStalk Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps in to your PC. [Links for downloadable files are provided below]
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 7 to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place BeanStalk Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM and into the device's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, they need to make sure the device is already rooted and have ClockworkMod Recovery installed.]
Step 4: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press-holding 'Volume (up),' 'Volume (down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the device memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 ROM .zip file in storage and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google Nexus 7 2012) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to 'Settings' >> select 'About device' to confirm the installation of BeanStalk Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.
BeanStalk Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Drive: HERE
[Credits: Team Android]