New custom firmware VividROM has been made available to the 2013 flagship smartphone.
Google Nexus 5 already runs on the stock Android OS with no bloat-ware. It helps in the smooth functioning of the device, but if users are interested to get more out of their smartphone and enhanced user experience, they can try the new updated mobile software VividROM.
VividROM is created by senior XDA Developers Forum, member, who goes by the moniker, reas0n. This custom ROM is based on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and comes with CyanogenMod features, link time optimisation, SaberMod tweaks, build.prop, SuperSU and many more tweaks have been included to improve the over-all efficiency of the device.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- This new VividROM Android 5.1.1 Lollipop has to be installed on the G-Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back up all the data by installing TWRP on the device.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Google Nexus 5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of VividROM Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on LG-Google Nexus 5-
Step 2: Connect LG-Google Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in root folder of the storage, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular "Bootloader Mode" sortie by press holding "Volume up", "Volume down" and "Power" buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the "Bootloader mode", go to the TWRP Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing "wipe data/factory reset".
[Note: Perform the above step if you are migrating from other ROMs or else skip this procedure and do dirty flashing, which means wiping only dalvik cache and cache when flashing an updated version of the same ROM you are currently on]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting "wipe cache partition".
Step 8: Go back to recovery and select "advanced" and tap "wipe dalvik cache".
[Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to the main recovery screen and then tap "install zip from SD card".
Step 10: Tap "choose zip from sdcard" and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select "About phone" to confirm the installation of VividROM Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.