A few months ago, Google officially announced to discontinue the software updates service for LG Nexus 5, as the company's obligatory contract expired.
Those, who had hoped to feel Nougat features on their 2013 flagship smartphone, need not feel disheartened, as there are numerous third-party custom ROMs that can fill the void. Among them, CyanogenMod is the most popular.
CyanogenMod CM14.1 series is created by XDA Developer Forum's recognised senior member Santosh. In addition to Nougat features, it will also come with exclusive themes, wallpapers and also performance tweaks to enhance user experience.
Readers, be advised, this CyanogenMod CM14.1 custom ROM is an experimental WIP (Work-in-Progress) version and contain bugs in it and some features are also not functioning. It would be safe to install the firmware in the Nexus 5, if the device is not the primary phone of yours.
Or else, if the installation procedure goes awry, it may brick the device and lose all data. Please make sure to read the entire article to assess the risk involved here and then go ahead.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM has to be installed on Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) LTE only model, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- AOSP ROM has to be installed through TWRP only
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Google Nexus 5) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM for Nexus 5 via TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project)-
Step 1: Download Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps in to your PC.
[Scroll to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 5 to the computer
Step 3: Place the Android Nougat AOSP ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM 14.1 custom ROM: HERE
Google Gapps: HERE (Recommended: ARM pico)
USB driver: HERE