Iceland have scripted the biggest upset of Euro 2016, defeating England in the round of 16 on Monday to book their quarterfinals berth. The English players, who were on their knees after the loss, did not know what hit them, as they were shown the exit doors by 34th ranked team in the world. 

Iceland might have come into this match as second favourite, but their hunger, determination, backed with a gritty performance helped them pull off a famous win.

England were always going to be a strong team, enjoying good possession, and they did so, but their failure to convert the half-chances cost them the game. However, one has to applaud Iceland's solid defence, which stood up to the task, and did not give much space to Daniel Sturridge and co.

Things had started perfectly for England as they took crucial lead in the fourth minute, with Wayne Rooney converting a spot kick, which was earned by Raheem Sterling. The spirited Iceland team, who did not have anything to lose in the competition, surprised England immediately in the next minute with a goal to draw level.

Iceland showed their big physical strength in scoring the equaliser after a long throw in from Aran Gunnarsson's, which was helped onto the path of Ragnar Sigurdsson to score the goal. 

Roy Hodgson's team were looking to regain lead, playing some decent football, threatening to score, but it was Iceland, who stunned England by scoring the second of the night in the 19th minute. Goalkeeper Joe Hart could have done better, but he only managed to get his finger tips to Kolbein Sigthorsson low shot, which creeped into the back of the net.

The first 20 minutes produced some amazing moments, but it was Iceland, who were all smiles. After that goal it was mostly England with the attack, but they failed to get past the quality defence, which was standing firm. Iceland were putting their body on the line to hold onto the lead, and went into the dressing room with a 2-1 lead.

Iceland were posing problems to the English players early in the second half, and they nearly took a two goal lead, but Ragnar Sigurdsson's acrobatic back-volley was saved by Hart to keep the Three Lions in the game.

Hodgson, in search of the equaliser, brought Jamie Vardy for Sterling with 30 minutes left for the game to end. This meant, England had three strikers in the pitch, but it was still was not enough for the Three Lions to come back into the match. They were desperate to score the goal in dying minutes, and committed men forward, allowing their opponent a chance to score. Iceland came close to their third goal, but Aron Gunnarson's shot was blocked by Hart in the 84th minute.

Even when England players looked in decent position to score, they did not threaten Iceland much in the second half. The Euro 2016 had witnessed a number of late goals, but it was not to be for Hodgson's side, who suffered an unfortunate exit with this loss.

There were contrasting scenes after the final whistle. Iceland players ran from the bench towards the pitch to celebrate a historic result, while English players were left red faced, and in utter disbelief to once again finish a major competition in shame.