Protesters demand justice for the victim
Protesters demand justice for the victimReuters

The condition of the 23-year-old para-medical student, who was gangraped on Sunday night in a moving bus and thrown off it, worsened as the doctors reported an abdominal infection.

According to reports, the victim's platelet count has gone down drastically.

Meanwhile, the fifth accused in the rape case was arrested by the police from Badaun in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday night.

Neeraj Kumar, Delhi Police commissioner, confirmed the arrest through Twitter. He tweeted, "The fifth accused has been arrested in the rape case. His age is being verified before giving details. If minor, we have to hold back his particulars as per law," reported PTI.

With this, five of the six accused in the gang rape have been arrested. Reports say, the sixth accused, identified as Akshay Thakur, is absconding and police raids are on in Bihar and Haryana to arrest him.

According to PTI reports, the victim's friend, who was severely beaten and thrown off bus by assaulters had identified Mukesh, a key accused in the case during a Test Identification Parade (TIP) at Tihar Jail on Thursday.

Demanding justice for the victim, thousands of women protesters on Friday tried to enter Rashtrapati Bhavan and also the North and South blocks. With the slogan, "We Want Justice," the protesters from various universities and organisations including AIDWA, YWCA and JNUSU forced their way past the barricade set at the Raisina Hill to Rashtrapati Bhavan where they were stopped and redirected to India Gate by the police.

Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi party also organised a protest at Jantar Mantar demanding laws to deal with such cases. He also urged for a provision to take fast action against those found guilty in these acts.

Reports of protests and demonstrations have come in across the country seeking strict action and law to curb violence against women.

The gruesome incident took place on Sunday night when the victim and her male friend boarded the bus to Palam at around 9.30 p.m. from Munirka in south Delhi. The offenders assaulted them with rods and then raped the girl. They were later thrown off the bus.