A demonstrator protest in New Delhi September 1, 2013.
A demonstrator holds a placard during a protest against the verdict of a teenager, who was sentenced to three years in juvenile detention, in New Delhi September 1, 2013.Reuters

A fast track court in Delhi on Tuesday will soon pronounce its verdict in the December 16 gang-rape case, wherein the brutal attack and subsequent death of 23-year-old girl in the national capital led to nationwide protests.

While the entire nation awaits a fair verdict, the victim's parents said the accused should be given nothing less than the death sentence.

"If they are not sentenced to death then it's a matter of shame for the entire country," the girl's father said. 

On 16 December 2012, the paramedical student was travelling with a male friend in a private bus when she was gang-raped by six men before being thrown out of the moving vehicle in a semi-clad state and with serious injuries. She died 15 days later in a Singapore hospital.

The incident provoked outrage across the country. Thousands took to the streets to protest against the attack and demand severe punishment for the accused.

One of the accused, who was 17 years old at the time of the incident, now 18, has been sent to live in a reform house for three years after a juvenile board found him guilty on 31 August.  

The victim's parents criticised the verdict stating that it unfair.

Ram Singh, one of the prime accused, was found hanging in his cell at Tihar Jail in March. The rest of the four accused - Vinay, Akshay, Pawan and Mukesh, all whom have pleaded not guilty might face the death sentence if convicted.

The trial in the Delhi-gang rape case began on 2 February. The victim's male friend, who had also sustained injuries and thrown off the bus with her, was among the 84 prosecution witnesses who stood by their statements in court.

The court has charged the five accused excluding the juvenile with 13 offences which include gang-rape, murder and attempt to murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, conspiracy, dacoity and destruction of evidence.

However, proceedings against the already dead Ram Singh have come to a halt following his death.