A 59-year-old man, who was undergoing treatment for swine flu treatment at Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi, died on Tuesday, 6 October. Though he is reportedly the first swine flu victim in Delhi this season, the Delhi government is yet to confirm it. 

The man, a resident of Kasganj in Uttar Pradesh, was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Safdarjung Hospital in Tuesday. Hospital authorities on Friday, 9 October said that the man was suffering from a critical condition and died on Tuesday itself, PTI reported.

"He tested positive for swine flu and was referred to Safdarjung hospital from Apollo hospital," Dr AK Rai, the medical superintendent of the hospital, said.

The man reportedly died of respiratory distress. However, the Delhi government's health department hasn't yet confirmed if he died of swine flu, according to The Indian Express.

Three more people have also tested positive for swine flu and are receiving treatment in the national capital, according to AIIMS doctors.

A middle-aged woman, hailing from outside Delhi is admitted to the ICU of Safdarjung Hospital. The doctors reportedly said that she was referred to them by Fortis Hospital.

Furthermore, two more men aged 68 and 32, and belonging to Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh, respectively, were admitted to the ICU of Sri Ganga Ram Hospital, Delhi. They have been receiving treatment since 2 October.

A senior official from Sri Ganga Ram Hospital said the condition of the two patients is "critical" and they "have been on ventilator support."

In order to combat the swine flu menace, the Delhi government decided to double the number of beds in hospitals. Medical experts have reportedly said that this season will see a rise once the temperature drops in Delhi.

A Delhi government health ministry official said that the health department has already reserved over one lakh capsules and syrups of oseltamivir tamiflu/fluvir and if, needed more will be bought.

Last season saw the worst outbreak of swine flu in Delhi since 2009, when 4,259 people were diagnosed with the virus and 12 people lost their lives. The epidemic continued until mid-April this year.