The Chinese New Year 2015 falls on 19 February and millions of people of Chinese descent as well as others will celebrate the day with much fanfare and enthusiasm.
In Chinese, the upcoming lunar year is directly translated as 'Year of the Yang' but the meaning of the word 'Yang' is often lost in translation and could mean sheep, goat or ram. However, the most popular expression generally accepted is 'The year of the sheep'.
The New Year period is the busiest and is considered to be the equivalent of American Thanksgiving in China.
"The significance of the Chinese New Year is primarily familial — it is the one holiday that every member of the family will do his/her absolute best to return home to celebrate the end of the year with the entire family, akin to the American Thanksgiving, for family gathering and to give thanks, all of which centers around FOOD!" Lingchei Letty Chen, Professor of Modern Chinese language and Literature at the Washington University in St. Louis, told IBTimes India.
In observance of the Chinese New Year 2015, we have rounded up best greetings, wishes and messages following by a guide on how to say New Year greetings in Chinese language.
Greetings, Wishes and Messages:
- "Hope the rising sun will bring with it bundles of joy, happiness and luck. Happy Chinese New Year!"
- "Light the lanterns and usher in another great year with new hopes and aspirations. Happy Chinese New Year!"
- "Wishing you and your family the best of the world in this Chinese New Year!"
- "Another year gone by, another year about to start and another set of opportunities being provided to you for realising all your unfulfilled dreams in this Chinese New Year."
- Hope the days ahead are filled with immense joy and prosperity. Happy Chinese New Year."
- "Life is like a book, each day has a new page, with adventures to tell, lessons to learn and tales on good deed to remember. "
- "May all your wishes come true on the Year of the Sheep."
- "I wish you plentiful money and treasures on the Year of the Ram."
- "A cheery Chinese New Year hold lots of happiness for you!"
- "Happy Lunar New Year. Hope all your New Year dreams come true!"
Messages and Wishes in Chinese (Mandarin)
- Happiness, Prosperity, Longevity! (In Mandarin: 福禄寿, pronounced: fú lù shòu)
- Enjoy good health! (In Mandarin: 身体健康; pronounced: Shēntǐ jiànkāng)
- Wish you luck in the year of Sheep (In Mandarin: 祝你好运在羊的一年 Pronounced Zhù nǐ hǎo yùn zài yáng de yī nián)
- Happy New Year (新年快乐 Xīnnián kuàilè)
- May all your wishes come true (愿你所有的愿望成真Yuàn nǐ suǒyǒu de yuànwàng chéng zhēn