Manchester City
Manchester City's Edin Dzeko (L) holds off Sheffield Wednesday's Stevie May during their League Cup soccer match at Etihad Stadium in ManchesterReuters

Manchester City, who were frustrated by a defensive Chelsea in the Premier League last weekend, vented out all their anger on Championship side Sheffield Wednesday, who suffered a colossal 7-0 defeat at the Etihad.

A brace from Frank Lampard and Edin Dzeko coupled with strikes from Jesus Navas, Yaya Toure (penalty) and Angel Pozo proved too much for Sheffield Wednesday, who were reduced to ten men at the hour mark.

The game started with Sheffield Wednesday getting a pretty good chance to break the deadlock through Gary Madine, but the forward mistimed his jump after doing brilliantly to get on the end of Jacques Maghoma's cross.

City created their first chance of the game when Eliaquim Mangala's volley, from a corner, thundered against the post in the 19th minute.

Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland did well to keep out Dzeko's header in the 43rd minute, before May wasted a good opportunity to put his side in front by firing wide of the post a couple of minutes later.

Just a couple of minutes into the second half, Manchester City finally broke the deadlock through Lampard, who fired home from close range after receiving a low pass from James Milner.

Five minutes later, City doubled their lead through Dzeko, who, after being picked out by Jesus Navas on the edge of the box, slotted the ball past Kirkland.

Manchester City, the defending champions, went further ahead in the 54th minute through Navas, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net after brilliantly dribbling his way past the Championship side's defences.

Things went from bad to worse for Sheffield Wednesday on the hour mark as they conceded a penalty and had a man sent off following Kamil Zayatte's rash challenge on Lampard inside the box.

Yaya Toure stepped up and eased the ball past Kirkland, who dived in the wrong direction.

Wednesday's misery continued as Dzeko scored his second goal of the night via a powerful header following a cross from Aleksandar Kolarov in the 77th minute.

City youngster Pozo also joined the party as he netted his side's sixth goal of the night following some good work from Navas.

Finally, Lampard added the icing on the cake by grabbing Manchester City's seventh in injury time with a good sliding effort after being picked up by Kolarov with a low cross.

Bolton Wanderers' Matt Mills fights for the ball with Chelsea's Oscar (R) during the English League Cup soccer match at Stamford Bridge in LondonReuters

Meanwhile, Chelsea also booked their place in the fourth round of the Capital One following a narrow 2-1 win over Bolton Wanderers.

Kurt Zouma's early goal was cancelled out by Matt Mills on the half hour mark, but a second half strike from Oscar ensured the Blues' progress in the League Cup.

The match began with Andre Schurrle nearly breaking the deadlock as his freekick was just barely kept out by Andy Lonergan in the fourth minute.

Lonergan and Schurrle were again in action as the former deflected the latter's effort onto the crossbar in the 16th minute.

The Championship side finally cracked in the 25th minute as Chelsea broke the deadlock through Zouma, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net after Bolton failed to deal with a corner from Schurrle

Despite the Blues' dominance in the game, Bolton gave an immediate response to the goal in the 31st minute through Mills, who planted a perfect header past Petr Cech after managing to get on the end of Liam Feeney freekick.

Chelsea also tried to give an immediate response to the goal but Lonergan did brilliantly to keep out a brilliant 30-yard effort from Nathan Ake.

After the break, Lonergan again made an excellent save to keep out a powerful header from Oscar. However, the Bolton goalkeeper could only watch as the Brazilian restored Chelsea's lead with a perfectly struck 25-yard drive.

Chelsea threatened to further increase their advantage through Loic Remy, but Lonergan again came to Bolton's rescue as he kept out the Frenchman's point-blank strike.

Schurrle nearly doubled Chlesea's advantage in the closing stages of the match, but his effort was again tipped on to the post by Lonergan.

Bolton threatened to grab a late equaliser when the Blues failed to clear a corner and Lee Chung-yong picked up the ball near the edge of the box. Buth the South Korean's effort was straight at Cech.

Other Results: Burton Albion 0-3 Brighton & Hove Albion, Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace 2-3 Newcastle United, West Bromwich Albion 3-2 Hull City.