Arsenal vs Southampton
Southampton's Florin Gardos (3rd R) heads the ball during their English League Cup soccer match against Arsenal at the Emirates stadium in London.Reuters

Arsenal have been knocked out of the Capital One Cup following a 1-2 loss against Southampton, while Liverpool edged past Middlesbrough in a dramatic penalty shootout at Anfield.

The Gunners saw their League Cup campaign end in the third round for the first time in 12 years as the Saints recorded their first victory at the Emirates.

Despite breaking the deadlock very early on in the game through Alexis Sanchez, the Gunners were unable to contain Southampton, who secured their progress to the next round of the Capital One Cup following back-to-back strikes from Dusan Tadic and Nathaniel Clyne.

While Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger made ten chances to his side, giving an opportunity to many youngsters including Francis Coquelin, Hector Bellerin, Chuba Akpom , Isaac Hayden and Joel Campbell, Southampton manager Ronald Koeman decided to go with more or less the same squad that beat Swansea City in the Premier League on Saturday.

Southampton got a very good chance to break the deadlock in the 9th minute of the game. Steven Davis, after receiving a good pass from Tadic, fired an effort towards goal. However, the Northern Irishman's low effort was brilliantly kept out by David Ospina.

Arsenal soon took control of the game and went in front at the 14th minute through Sanchez, who found the nets with an excellent 25-yard free-kick that Fraser Forster had absolutely no chance of saving.

Just as it looked like the Gunners were soaring, they conceded a penalty following a silly foul on Sadio Mane by Tomas Rosicky inside the box. Tadic stepped up and calmly slotted the penalty straight down the middle.

The equaliser seems to have invigorated the Saints as they soon created a couple of chances close to the half hour mark. However, they were not able to take the lead as Mane was unable to hit the target in the 27th minute, and Graziano Pellè's effort was denied by the woodwork a couple of minutes later.

Southampton's efforts soon bore fruit as they went ahead in the 40th minute through a brilliant long-range effort from Clyne. Arsenal failed to properly clear a corner from Tadic and the ball fell to Clyne, who took one touch before firing a fizzing 30-yard that flew into the net past Ospina.

After the break, Southampton threatened to further increase their lead as Davis forced an awkward save out of Ospina in the opening stages.

A couple of minutes later, Ospina again came to Arsenal's rescue as he kept out a well stuck low free-kick from Tadic, before debutant Florin Gardos narrowly headed one over.

Arsenal got a very good chance to level the scores in the 69th minute through Sanchez, but the Chilean's effort, following some excellent work from Santi Cazorla, was straight at Forster.

Finally, with four minutes remaining, Pelle got a wonderful opportunity to put the game to bed when he managed to get to end of Davis' corner, but the Italian's header went over the crossbar.

However, the Saints were not made to pay for that miss as they managed to hold on to their slender lead and book a place in the fourth round of the Capital one Cup.

Liverpools Jordan Rossiter (L) celebrates after scoring the opening goal during their League Cup soccer match against Middlesbrough at Anfield in Liverpool.Reuters

Meanwhile, Liverpool progressed to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup after beating Middlesbrough in a dramatic 14-13 penalty shootout following a 2-2 draw at Anfield.

The Reds took an early lead through Jordan Rossiter, but Adam Reach levelled the scores in the 62nd minute. Suso again put the Reds ahead in the first half of extra time, but the game went into the shootouts after Boro scored from a penalty right at the death.

The game started with the Reds taking the lead after only 10 minutes through youngster Rossiter, who slotted the ball from the rebound after Rickie Lambert's initial effort was carried away by Jamal Blackman.

The Reds threatened again in the 35th minute when Adam Lallana, after finding some space in the midfield, advanced dangerously into the box. However, in the end, he wasted the chance as he dragged his effort wide of the post.

Boro got a very good chance to level the scores in the 38th minute through Lee Tomlin, but Simon Mignolet produced an excellent save to keep out the striker's powerful drive.

After the break Grant Leadbitter got another chance to level the scores but his strike was wide of the target.

Finally after a lot of huffing and puffing, Boro grabbed the equaliser in the 62nd minute through Reach. Leadbitter whipped the ball in from a free-kick and Reach made no mistakes as he planted a perfect header past Mignolet.

The visitors also took the lead in the 77th minute but Adam Clayton's strike from outside the box was acrobatically kept out by Mignolet.

Finally, the game advanced into extra time after neither team could break the deadlock in 90 minutes.

Liverpool were the better side in the first half of extra-time and they soon re-took the lead through Suso in the 109th minute. Mario Balotelli's initial effort was blocked by Blackman, but the rebound fell to Suso, who found the nets with a low effort past the on-loan goalkeeper.

Just as it looked like the Reds were heading for a win, they conceded a penalty right at the death after Patrick Bamford was chopped down by Kolo Toure in the box.

Bamford stepped up and eased the ball into the bottom corner, forcing the game to penalties.

Apart from Bamford and Raheem Sterling everybody converted their respective penalties, and the shootout headed towards sudden death.

Both sides, including the two goalkeepers, continued to convert their penalties before a miss from Albert Adomah ensured Liverpool's progress to the next stage of the League Cup.

Other Results: Cardiff City 0-3 AFC Bournemouth, Derby County 2-0 Reading, Leyton Orient 0-1 Sheffield United, MK Dons 2-0 Bradford City, Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Norwich City, Sunderland 1-2 Stoke City, Swansea City 3-0 Everton, Fulham 2-1 Doncaster Rovers.