The Army is set to step up its operations against the Bodo militants, whose deadly attack on tribals in Assam left 83 people dead.
"We are definitely going to intensify our operations in Assam," Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag said after a meeting with Home Minister Rajnath Singh. "The meeting was to review the security situation in Assam," he added.
General Suhag, who is likely to visit Assam on Saturday, also said that to counter insurgency operations, 66 Army columns (70 personnel in each column) have been deployed in Assam, reports NDTV.
Rajnath Singh on his return to Delhi following a two-day visit to Assam reportedly asked the Army chief to ensure that peace returns to the violence-hit areas in Assam.
According to sources, Singh told General Suhag that Army presence should be increased in Assam, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh, where there is a presence of National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) militants.
Since NDFB has it bases in Bhutan and Myanmar, the home minister is believed to have discussed the issue of coordinated operations with the armies of those two countries, say sources.
Both the nations have given an assurance to take action against the terror outfit.
According to sources, General Suhag told Rajnath Singh that commanders have been directed to ensure peace among the common people.
Singh had earlier ruled out talks with the insurgent outfit, and promised action against the Bodo militant group.