Slotted in different halves of the draw, World Championship silver medallist PV Sindhu and CWG champion Saina Nehwal can only square off in the title round as the singles action in badminton begins on Thursday, August 23 in Indonesia.
Third seed Sindhu will open her campaign against Vietnam's Thi Trang Vu while Saina has been pitted against Iran Soraya Aghaeihajiagha.
Sindhu is expected to have a smooth run till the semi-finals, where she might run into second seeded Japanese Akane Yamaguchi, whom she had beaten in the Team event at the Games.
Sindhu, who is bidding to end her gold medal drought, may meet Nitchaon Jindapol in the quarter-final.
Saina though may meet Thailand's fourth seed Ratchanok Intanon as early as in the quarter-final.
HS Prannoy handed tough draw
In the men's singles, India's best bet Kidambi Srikanth has got a bye in the first round.
He is up against Hong Kong's Wong Wing Ki Vincent in the second round.
Srikanth may face world number one Shi Yuqi in the semi-final as both the shuttlers have been drawn in the top half of the bracket.
Reigning national champion HS Prannoy has also got a first-round bye and will play his first match against Kantaphon Wangcharoen of Thailand.
But he has Keno Momota and Chen Long in his half, so it is not going to be a smooth ride for him.
Key Indian matches to watch out for on Thursday
- PV Sindhu vs Thi Trang Vu - Not before 2 pm local time, 12:30 pm IST
- Saina Nehwal vs Soraya Aghaeihajiagha: Not before 2:30 pm local time, 1 pm IST
- Satwiksairaj/Ashwini Ponappa vs Dechapol Puavaranukroh/Sapsiree Taerattanachai: Not before 4:30 pm local time, 3 pm IST
- Ashwini Ponnappa/Sikki Reddy vs Ng Wing Yung/Yeung Nga Ting - 12 pm local time, 10:30 am IST
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty vs Chung Yonny/Tam Chun Hei: Not before 2 pm local and 12:30 pm IST
(With PTI inputs)