Android smartphone owners are eagerly waiting for the release of Lollipop but only select smartphones models have been lucky. Joining the limited number of Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered smartphones is Xolo's Q610s smartphones in India.
As surprising as it is, Xolo has managed to beat several other OEMs that are still struggling to get the taste of Lollipop in India. Xolo joins the sub-2 percent club of Lollipop-powered smartphones around the world.
Google has rolled out its latest OS version to limited phones including the Nexus and GPE lineup along with flagships from other renowned OEMs like HTC, Motorola and others. The Lollipop update for Xolo Q610s, which was launched in August last year, is not pushed to the phones over-the-air but is available as a manual download. Besides Q610s, Xolo One smartphones has already been updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop in India.
By updating to the new OS, users of the Xolo handset can enjoy slew of new features including Material Design UI, new notification design, guest mode and improved performance. Since the update isn't available through the traditional OTA method, below is a full guide to help you get the new software on Xolo Q610s.
How to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Xolo Q610s:
- Download Q610s Lollipop update on the PC and save it as update.zip.
- Connect the Xolo smartphone to the computer.
- Select USB Connected on your smartphone once the PC detects the device.
- Select Turn on USB storage > tap OK.
- On the PC, the phone will appear as a drive.
- Move the downloaded zip file to device's mass storage or phone memory (NOTE: The file must be saved to root of the drive, in other words, do not save the file in sub-folder in the storage device.)
- Turn off USB storage once the file is moved/copied.
- Disconnect the device from computer and launch Xolo Care app, select Update and tap Check for software update.
- Click Download when prompted and wait for the smartphone to restart.
Those who wish to get the update easy way must wait until it is being rolled out over-the-air.