A new Android 4.4.3 KitKat SlimKat Custom ROM has been made available to Samsung's 2011 flagship model- Galaxy S2 I9100.
The SlimKat ROM is said to be compiled with custom Toolchain Sabermod to improve battery life and performance.
Other features include:
- GCC is increased to level – 03.
- ARMv7 & Cortex-A9 optimized string is introduced for multitasking without any lag.
- Memory optimization.
- CPU zzmoove governor moved to SlimKernel.
- AOSP & VanirAOSP fixes with improvements.
- SQLite fsync is disabled to I/O performance and many more customization options.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM in to the device):
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This custom firmware (SlimKat) has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of whole data in the smartphone, so make sure to back up all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 4.4.3 KitKat SlimKat Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
Step 1: Download Android 4.4.3 KitKat SlimKat Custom ROM (here) into your PC.
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 4.4.3 KitKat zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool].
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'volume (up)', 'home' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset.'
[Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.3 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install the Google Apps [Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options].
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android 4.4.3 KitKat SlimKat Custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]