Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has not been made available in certain markets, despite releasing it in several countries, including Russia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore a few months ago. Now, the new firmware labeled N900XXUDND1 has been rolled out both on KIES and over the air.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 owners will receive a system generated notification once the software update is ready. One has to follow the instructions given in the message to update the new firmware.
Android 4.4.2 N900XXUDND1 update can be checked manually under Settings > More > About Phone > Software update > Check for software updates or upgrade Galaxy Note 3 to Android 4.4.2 through KIES.
The firmware may come with goodies like status bar icons, transparent status bar, cloud printing, better power management, full screen album art in the lockscreen, immersive mode, camera shortcut in the lockscreen, color emoji support, revised interface, improved Samsung Keyboard, and updated Samsung native applications, according to a report by Android Geeks.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 owners can also update their phablet manually if they don't get an official update notification by following the tutorial provided below:
Here are things phablet users should do before getting into the tutorial for updating the new firmware:
- Tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 model number SM - N900. Check the info listed in the 'About Device' section for model number.
- Install Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- Disable the Samsung KIES and anti-virus apps from running on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging for Galaxy Note 3 from its Developer Options menu. (To enable USB Debugging, click HERE)
- No files will be removed if your smartphone is running a stock ROM but all datas will be removed if your phablet features a custom ROM. (use Helium for Android to backup data and sync contacts data with your Gmail account).
- Your phone battery should be over 50 percent to ensure that the updating process is done smoothly.
- If your smartphone features custom Recovery, it will be removed and a stock Recovery will flash instead. Rooted device will have their root access.
Here is Tutorial for Updating Android 4.4.2 KitKat N900XXUDND1 on Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
- Download the N900XXUDND1 zip firmware and save the files on your computer. You will get a tar.md5 file and other files.
- Download Odin v3.09; extract the zip file and run it as an Administrator.
- Switch off your phone and boot it into download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together, then press Power button. Press Volume Up key to enter into Download Mode.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer via USB cable and click the AP button once entering ODIN.
- Load the N900XXUDND1 tar.md5 firmware file into ODIN.
- Click on the Start button to begin the installation process.
- "PASS" message will be displayed once the installation is complete and the phone will reboot automatically.
- You can unplug your device from your computer once Samsung logo appears on the home screen.
(Image Credit: Screenshot from Samsung Official Website)