A new Android v4.4.2 KitKat HellKat custom ROM has been made available to Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
The HellKat custom ROM is based on Android v4.4.2 KitKat and comes with Linaro Toolchain, which makes HellKat much faster than CyanogenMod firmware. It also features red halo launcher, performance enhancing tweaks and others.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM in to the device):
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This custom ROM (HellKat) has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 (T-Mobile model) only, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Rooting of devices leads to a complete data wipeout, so make sure to back up all data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone to save the data.
- Users make sure that they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Galaxy S2 SGH-T989) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step Installation Procedure of Android v4.4.2 KitKat HellKat Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 [T-Mobile model]:
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before connecting the phone to the computer, make sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.2 KitKat HellKat ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'volume (up)', 'home' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset.'
[Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then, go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then, tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.2 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process and again repeat the same procedure for Google Apps file. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of custom firmware Android v4.4.2 KitKat HellKat custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]