Girl praying
Girl prayingReuters

One of the missing people, Fathima aka Nimisha, who is believed to have left Kerala to join Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Isis), was forcibly converted to Islam by her ex-lover, her mother Bindu said during a press conference in Thiruvananathapurm on Wednesday.

One Syed Rahman had allegedly converted Nimisha to Islam long before she got married to Eesa alias Bexton Vincent. Rahman also forced Nimisha to undergo an abortion, Bindu said.

Rahman and Nimisha were in a relationship when he was a medical student in Pondicherry and Nimisha was studying at a private entrance coaching centre in Pondicherry.

Bindu also added that Rahman and Nimisha's relationship ended once he forced her to undergo an abortion. However, he went to Poinachi when she got admission in BDS at Century Dental College. It was there that he took her to Salafi centre at Oottukuzhi in 2013. Nimisha reportedly continued following Islam long after the relationship was over.

"He provoked my daughter to change her religion. Because of him my daughter is missing and telling my relatives that he wants to contact me and apologize. He (MBBS doctor) should apologize to my daughter in front of me, when she returns," Bindu said.

In these two years he kept mum and should have contacted me when my daughter went missing. Don't know where she is. Nimisha's friend told me that she was compelled for abortion by him (lover of Nimisha)."

On being asked if she believes that there is any group trying to convert people to Islam, she said, "I don't know if there is any group, but friend of my daughter told there are 2-3 girls in this condition."

In 2015, she married Vincent after knowing him for less than a week.

Bindu also said that she would be filing a police complaint against Rahman.

Meanwhile, in another related incident in Thiruvananathapuram, a woman named Mini Vijayan alleged that her daughter Shahana aka Aparna was forcibly converted to Islam.

"She was forcibly converted to Islam...When we came to know about it, we approached the police who then located her in Kozhikode," she was quoted as saying by Times of India.

However, the girl refused to go back to her family and went with the woman Sumayya, who accompanied her when the police presented Shahana in high court.

"She is staying at Sathya Sarani, an institute which aims to propagate Islam among non-Muslims. Though she used to be in touch with me earlier, she went incommunicado ever since the case of Nimisha appeared in the media," Vijayan said.