yemen air strikes indian stranded
Smoke billows from a Houthi-controlled military base after a Saudi-led air strike. [Representational Image]Reuters

At least 131 people were killed after two missiles fired by Saudi fighter jets tore through a tent hosting a wedding party in Yemen on Monday, 28 September.

Several woman and children, including the bride and the groom were killed in the attack, a report said. The United Nations and local medics said on Tuesday that the Saudi airstrikes targeted two tents in a village near the Red Sea port of Mocha, where a suspected Houthi rebel was celebrating his wedding.

A BBC report stated that Saudi-led coalition has denied that it bombed a wedding party. United Nations in the meantime has condemned "the disregard shown by all sides for human life" in Yemen.

Yemen airstrike

A senior Yemeni official told Al Shahid news portal that the airstrike in the village located 346 kms south of the capital, Sanaa was a mistake.

Iran's state news agency - Press TV, which called the bombing incident a 'massacre', reported that more than 70 women were killed in the airstrike.

The US-backed coalition has been targeting the Iranian-allied Houthis mostly by air across Yemen since March with the goal of ousting the Houthi rebels who seized control over regions last year, including the capital Sanaa in the north, and to restore President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

A Reuters report suggested that the coalition jets targeted the area as it is a gateway to the Bab al-Mandeb strait and connects the Red Sea with the Arabian Sea, which is a vital route for oil tankers and other maritime traffic between Asia and Europe.

Also read