Woody Allen celebrates his 80th birthday on 1 December, 2015. An American actor, filmmaker, comedian, playwright whose career spans more than 50 years, Allen is undoubtedly one of the most iconic figures in the industry. No matter what we say, we will always fall short of words to describe this legend's contribution.
So, on his birthday, we decided to let his words do all the talking and have compiled some of the best quotes that Woody Allen has ever said.
- "Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as far as meaningless experiences go its pretty damn good."
- "If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
- "The difference between sex and love is that sex relieves tension and love causes it."
- "Men learn to love the woman they are attracted to. Women learn to become attracted to the man they fall in love with."
- "To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be happy one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness."
- "I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer."
- "I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens."
- "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen; I want to live on in my apartment."
- "You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
- "There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more."
- "Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."
- "What if nothing exists and we're all in somebody's dream?"
- "What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet."
It's quite a task to shortlist best Woody Allen movies to watch, but still we have managed to list out 10 movies that you must watch to celebrate the icon's birthday:
1) Annie Hall
3) Midnight in Paris
4) Irrational Man
5) Vicky Christina Barcelona
6) The Purple Rose of Cairo
7) Hannah and Her Sisters
8) Crimes and Misdemeanours
9) Love and Death