Prolific custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released Android Marshmallow-based CM13 series firmware to Asus Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.
It is around 300MB in size and brings Doze power-saving feature, faster Chrome browser, more intuitive Now on Tap feature, new security feature verified boot system, support for more international dialects, a new contextual assistance feature and numerous other features to enhance user-experience on Nexus 7.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom series has to be installed on Google Nexus 7 (aka Deb) LTE and Wi-Fi (aka Flo) 2013 series models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC, or else your device (Google Nexus 7) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes Indiacannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod (official) CM13 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly on Google Nexus 7 (2013) models:
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod (official) CM13 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly and Google Apps) on to your PC.
[Scroll down to find the downloadable CM13 files]
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 7 to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place Android CM13 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM .zip file and into the device's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery.]
Step 4: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Volume (down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the device memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 ROM .zip file in storage and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google Nexus 7 2013) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to 'Settings' >> select 'About device' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod (official) CM13 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly.
|Models||CM13 custom ROM (build-date: 25/11/2015)||CM13 compatible Recovery (build-date: 25/11/2015)|
|Asus-Google Nexus 7 (aka Deb) LTE||Link||Link|
|Asus-Google Nexus 7 (aka Flo) Wi-Fi||Link||Link|
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum]