UFC light heavyweight champion of the world, Daniel Cormier, has stated that he just can't wait to step into the Octagon to face off against the veteran Jon 'Bones' Jones for a second time.
The mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion announced their decision on Friday to reinstate the former UFC light heavyweight champion of the world after the pound-for-pound king served an indefinite suspension from the cage for his involvement in a hit-and-run case in New Mexico in April this year.
"The best is yet to come" is how Jones reverted to his fans and followers all over the world, and at the moment, a title shot for Jones is what everyone is keen to watch.
"For MMA fans this is a good day," Cormier was quoted by MMA Junkie. "A guy that has shown to be one of the greatest fighters of all time is back. As a competitor there could be no other outcome and this is the best news I've heard in a long time."
"Jon has said the right things and his actions are backing his words up," Cormier continued. "We all hope this is the last time we have to deal with anything like that.
"And lastly as a fan you get to see two of the best fighters compete against each other. With that being said I can't wait to compete against him again," he made his intentions clear.
Jones was stripped of his title and suspended indefinitely by the UFC in April, after he crashed his SUV into a pregnant woman's car and fled the scene. The 28-year-old American fighter -- who has 21 wins from 22 fights in his MMA career -- appeared before a judge in New Mexico at the end of last month and pleaded guilty to one charge.
Jones was subsequently sentenced to an 18-month probation as well as community service.
A rematch with Cormier, who Jones defeated in the main event of UFC 182 in January this year for his eighth title defence, is apparently on the cards, and according to Fox Sports, the UFC are believed to have confirmed him a title shot once he makes his return.
The full statement by the UFC on Jon Jones: "We've made it clear to Jon that this new opportunity to compete in UFC is a privilege and not a right, and that there are significant expectations we have regarding his conduct moving forward," said UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.
"We're happy to read and see reports that he has embraced the terms of his plea agreement and is using this experience to grow and develop as a person."
The MMA promotion also confirmed that they expect the fighter to meet all the terms of his plea agreement, which includes the mandatory community service.
Here's Jones' full statement: