India and Italy have shared an excellent bilateral trade relationship in the past few years.
In 2007, India became Italy's fourth largest trading partner in the European Union (EU) and was categorised as a priority country for the Italian government.
Italy is currently among India's top five trading partners in the EU. It is also the 12th largest investor in India.
According to reports, there are around 140 Italian companies in India. Likewise, a number of Indian companies ranging from Technology (IT), electronics, pharmaceuticals, automobile, textile and engineering, have their presence in Italy.
Here are ten Italian companies which have their operations in India:
1. Alitalia - Compagnia Aerea Italiana S.p.A. is Italy's national carrier with its hub at Fiumicino (Rome), Milan, Turin, Venice, Naples, and Catania. Its flights operate across more than 75 national and international destinations. The fleet size of Alitalia is 150.
Alitalia commenced its India operations in 1961 with Mumbai as its first destination. It later extended its services to Delhi and Chennai.
Rocco Sabelli is the chief executive officer of the company and Roberto Colaninno is its chairman.
2. Ferrari SpA. is an automotive company based in Maranello and is identified by its rearing-stallion logo. The company produces around 6,250 high-performance sports cars annually. The retail price of their cars starts from $300,000.
Ferrari forayed into the Indian market in 2011 by displaying its cars first in New Delhi. Some of the models sold in India are Ferrari California, Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and Ferrari FF.
3. Bisazza India Private Limited is an associate of Bisazza SpA, one of the world's largest manufacturers of glass mosaics. The company was incorporated in 1956 in Vicenza and set up its first Indian manufacturing facility in Kadi, near Ahmedabad, Gujarat in 1995.
4. Fiat India Automobiles Limited is a subsidiary of Fiat SpA which has a market capitalisation of 5.61 billion euros. The company is Italy's largest automobile manufacturer and is actively involved in designing, producing and selling vehicles under the brands - Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Fiat Professional, Abarth, Ferrari, Maserati, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram Truck and SRT.
Fiat India is the country's ninth largest car manufacturer based on sales. The company was set up on 2 January, 1997, and sells various models like Grande Punto, Linea and 500.
John P Elkann is the chairman of the board while Sergio Marchionne serves as chief executive officer, chief operating officer and executive director of the company.
5. Piaggio & C. SpA is an motor vehicle manufacturing brand which has a market capitalisation of 719.46 million euros. The company produces two wheelers and has seven brands of scooters and motorcycles under Piaggio, Vespa, Gilera, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Derbi and Scarabeo brands.
It also manufactures three and four wheeler light transportation vehicles.
The company made its entry into the Indian market in 1998 through a joint venture with Greaves Limited.
Roberto Colaninno is the chairman of the board and chief executive officer, while Ravi Chopra is the chairman and managing director of Piaggio Vehicles Pvt. Ltd, India.
6. Gucci Group N.V is a multi-brand luxury goods company which has a market capitalisation of $14.37 billion. Through Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Sergio Rossi, Boucheron, Bottega Veneta, Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney and Bedat & Co. brands, the company designs, produces and distributes personal luxury goods, including ready-to-wear, handbags, luggage, small leather goods, shoes, timepieces, jewelry, ties and scarves, eyewear, perfume, cosmetics and skincare products across the world.
Gucci entered into the Indian market through a joint venture with the Murjani Group and opened its boutiques in Mumbai and New Delhi in 2007.
7. Banca Popolare Di Vicenza is the 12th largest banking group in Italy which was founded in 1866. The first branch of the bank was opened in India on 1 June, 2006, with the aim of providing financial support to Italian firms which are keen to do business in India.
8. Welspun Zucchi Textiles Limited is a leading manufacturer of household linens. The company was established in India through a joint venture between Vincenzo Zucchi and Welspun India Limited in 1998. The company is the largest bathrobe manufacturer in India.
Vincenzo Zucchi SpA has a market capitalisation of 15 million euros. The company is engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of household linens. Its product range includes items such as bed sheets and pillow covers, duvets and duvets covers, accessories for beds, sofa covers, rugs, towels, bathrobes, toilet rugs, tablecloths, napkins and yarn, as well as travel robes.
Welspun Zucchi Textiles Limited is also involved in the manufacturing of products like bath robes, bath wraps, hooded towels, turbies, aprons, terry slippers and head bands.
9. Graziano Trasmissioni was founded in 1951 and is presently the worldwide leader in the field of transmission technology and supplies a broad range of products like synchronisers, gears, gear boxes, axles, transaxles, power shift transmissions and other sub-assemblies.
Graziano Trasmissioni entered the Indian market in 1998.
10. Zuari Cement is part of the Italcementi Fabbriche Riunite Cemento SpA Bergamo group. Italcementi is a leading producer and distributor of cement with a market capitalisation of 1,099 million euros. The company concentrates in the manufacturing and distribution of three main product lines: cement, aggregates and ready-mixed concrete. Italcementi operates in 21 countries on four continents, including an industrial network of 55 cement plants, 10 grinding centres, eight terminals and 494 concrete batching units. It is active domestically and has its presence in France, Belgium, Spain, the United States, Canada, Bulgaria, Egypt, Kazakhstan, Greece, India, Turkey, Morocco, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Cyprus, Albania, China, Kuwait, Gambia, Mauritania and Sri Lanka. As of 18 April , 2012, the company's major shareholder was Italmobiliare SpA with a stake of 60.36 percent.
The Italcementi Group took over Zuari Cement in 2006 to strengthen its presence in India.