Most parents who have probably told their adolescent children to concentrate on studies and not get mired in relationships with the opposite sex will be happy with Tinder's new change in policy. The "dating" app has made sure that users below the age of 18 years don't get to sign up to its service, making it an adults-only app.
"On a platform that has facilitated over 11 billion connections, we have the responsibility of constantly assessing our different user experiences. Consistent with this responsibility, we have decided to discontinue service for under-18 users. We believe this is the best policy moving forward. This change will take effect next week," Rosette Pambakian, Tinder's VP of Communications, said in a statement on Thursday.
So far the app allowed users between the ages of 13 and 17 years to sign up, but ensured that users over the ages of 18 couldn't see these profiles, CNET reported. It was almost as if Tinder led two separate services, one for adults and the other for minors.
Now the app will be available only to users above the age of 18.
According to TechCrunch, Tinder has been reviewing this policy change since 2015, which Pambakian believes is "the right thing to do."
Tinder had also said that the service would look at being more gender-inclusive. "There's a transgender community on Tinder and we haven't done enough to give them a good experience," Tinder CEO Sean Rad said on Thursday at the Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.