Star Wars Day, the unofficial day for the celebration of everything "Star Wars," is held on May 4 annually. The date, May the Fourth, sounds very similar to the popular "Star Wars" quote "May the Force be with you," which is why the date was chosen by fans to celebrate one of the greatest pop culture phenomenon in the world.
May 4 is a day that everyone who loves the "Star Wars" universe created by George Lucas celebrates wholeheartedly. Fans greet each other with "May the Fourth/Force be with you," much like the members of the Rebel Alliance.
The first known usage of the phrase was on May 4, 1979, when an advertisement featured in the London Evening News following the elections read, "May the Fourth Be with You, Maggie. Congratulations." An organised celebration was held only in 2011, when Sean Ward and Alice Quinn produced festivities at the Toronto Underground Cinema in Canada.
You can join in on this amazing celebration by taking part in cosplays, trivia games and holding a "Star Wars" movie night. You can also wish fellow fans by sharing awesome quotes from the "Star Wars" movies. Find a few of them here:
- "In my experience there is no such thing as luck." – Obi-Wan Kenobi
- "Do. Or do not. There is no try." – Yoda
- "Travelling through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy!" - Han Solo
- "I find your lack of faith disturbing." – Darth Vader
- "So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." – Padmé Amidala
- "Chewie... we're home" - Han Solo
- "The Force is strong with this one." – Darth Vader
- "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." – Yoda
- "Shut him up or shut him down " - Han Solo
- "I've got a very bad feeling about this." – almost everyone
And of course, the "Star Wars" quote that even non-"Star Wars" fans know, "Luke, I am your father."