SOKP (Sonic Open Kang Project), touted as one of the most popular custom ROM developer communities, has rolled out new Android 5.1.1 Lollipop version for Samsung's 2014 flagship phablet, Galaxy Note 4.
It is 256MB in size and brings new personalisation features, performance tweaks and also extends the battery life.
Other key features of SOKP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM include:
- Layers RRo 2.1 with Orion to launch layer manager in Settings
- Screen recorder with external audio, video-size and bit-rate options
- Options to show CPU info on developer settings
- Lock-screen short-cut
- Wake-lock blocker
- Smart lock
- Advanced reboot with show/hide option
- Custom colours for battery saver and trigger options
Things to remember before installing Custom ROM:
- SOKP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM should be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910F) international LTE models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward
- Installation of the custom ROM requires clearing memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Galaxy Note 4) will not be recognised
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM]
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of SOKP Android v5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Note 4-
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed the USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps .zip file in the phone's SD card. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must is rooted and has ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend it so that the user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again, come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of SOKP Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]