Popular crowd-sourced custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released the official CM13 series firmware to the 2014 flagship smartphone OnePlus One.
The new CyanogenMod CM13 is based on Google's latest Android Marshmallow OS.
"If you are on CM 12.1 YOG4P or CM 12.1 YOG7D releases, we recommend you stay on course with the SNAPSHOT release channel and not jump to nightlies unless you are willing to accept a dip in quality," said CyanogenMod admin on the official blog.
"Our stable branches are vetted, CTS run and (in some cases) shipped on retail devices – which means the quality of those branches is far and above that of nightlies. We'd advise these folks to stay on the SNAPSHOT train, and we'll have a quality approved SNAPSHOT for CM13 sometime Jan," he added.
OnePlus One owners are advised to exercise some caution before going forward with the custom ROM installation.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- If you are on a 12.1 nightly, you can 'dirty flash' CM13 as long as you also update your third party add-ons in the same pass. This means, if you use Xposed, OpenGapps, etc. flash a Marshmallow compatible version of them immediately after your CM13 flash.
- If you have taken any unofficial, XDA or self made builds of the CM13 source code, we'd advise you to wipe upon coming to our official nightlies as we cannot ensure upgrade compatibility with third party distributions. Of course, you are welcome to not heed our suggestion, but don't blame us if something goes sideways.This new custom ROM nightly has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, they might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] CM13 v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly on to your PC.
[Scroll down to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to the computer
Step 3: Place the CM13 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
CyanogenMod CM12.1 Downloadable files:
OnePlus One CM13 [Nightly]: HERE [Build date: 25/11/2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE