Prime minister Narendra Modi, in his speech in the Parliament on Wednesday, promised to follow the roadmap laid down by President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday.
News channels broadcast Modi's speech through the Loksabha channel, some of the important points that stood out in the Prime Minister's address were–
- "Government should be for the poor. To take the poor out of poverty, we must empower them, and the biggest weapon is education. We must ensure the poor never go hungry again."
- "We should concentrate on agro-based industries. The faster we use technology in agriculture, the more profits we will get."
- "Respect for women should be a priority of Indians. We must make women partners in our journey of development."
- Over 65 percent of the country's population is young. We must focus on skill development. Just a qualification certificate is not enough, skill is more important."
- "We can bring education in villages through satellites."
- "We will do everything to bring down inflation."
- "We have to stop politicizing rape. We are playing with the dignity of women."
- "Why are our Muslim brothers in such a bad situation? We need to focus on their development."
- "We must have a clean India by the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi."
- "It is time to present the country as Skilled India, not Scam India."
- "Villages must be equipped with all facilities. If villages have electricity, Internet and education, they can contribute to the country's development."
- "We must make sure every citizen in India has a home by the 75th year of India's Independence.
- "Our model must be to learn the good work that everyone is doing, irrespective of who is in power. Competition on models of development is welcome."
- "We must move ahead with unity and consensus, not just numbers."
- "If Indians can come together for a cricket match, why not for the country's development?"