A young man from Seoni district in Madhya Pradesh was critically injured after his mobile phone exploded while he was holding it in his mouth.

Mithlesh, 22, was holding the mobile in his mouth and switched on the torch facility in the phone so as to search for a sugar packet stored beneath the thatched roof of his settlement at Ghurwada village of Seoni district. The mobile phone burst causing severe injury to his jaws and nasal pipeline. The explosion also caused damage to a portion of the thatched roof.

"Mithlesh switched on the torch facility on his mobile and while holding it in his mouth was searching for a packet containing sugar which was stored in the thatched roof of his shanty," Narendra Thakur, husband of the village sarpanch told The Times of India.

"It was some Chinese-make handset which was being used by him," Thakur added.

The incident occurred between 9 and 10 pm on Friday. Mithlesh's family rushed him to a hospital in Seoni. But seeing his critical condition the doctors advised his relatives to shift him to Nagpur for treatment. The victim is undergoing treatment in a Nagpur hospital, but his condition is said to be critical. Doctors at Seoni hospital had earlier told the relatives that the chances of Mithlesh's survival were very low, sources told TOI

This is not the first time that such an incident has been reported. In a similar incident, a 10-year-old boy from Shajapur tehsil's Pagravat village in Indore was injured last September after a mobile handset which he had put in his mouth suddenly exploded. The boy lost some of his upper teeth and his lips and lower jaws were injured. He was rushed to the Maharaja Yeshwantrao Hospital, where he recovered from his injuries.

Quick Links