People across the world celebrate 1 May as "May Day", which is also known as "Labour Day" or "International Workers' Day".
The concept of this day began in 1886 in Chicago, US. Several people were killed and injured during a general strike on the eight-hour workday.
In India, the first Labour Day or May Day was celebrated in 1923 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. This day is dedicated to workers and labourers.
The day is marked as a national holiday. Some institutions and trade unions organise pageants and other activities to show the importance of workers. Most political leaders make speeches.
Here are a few quotes and wishes on Labour Day:
A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving." Albert Einstein
My grandfather once told me there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to be in the first group; there was much less competition." Indira Gandhi
The end of labor is to gain leisure." Aristotle
There is no substitute for hard work." Thomas Edison
All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." Martin Luther King Jr.
God sells us all things at the price of labor." Leonardo da Vinci
- Let us celebrate the Labour, Those built up this Great Land, Happy May Day
- Stand for something without falling for anything ! Happy May Day 2015
- May your day be filled with a lot of blessings, Like a sun that lights the sky, A very Happy May Day 2015
- Labor disgraces no man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labor. Happy labor Day.
- Happy Labor Day. Remember that labor means hard-work but not at the cost of being deprived of your rights.
- May arrives ... It is calm and kind on the first day of May. Happy May Day !!!
Check out the above slideshow for Picture Greetings.