Rajinikanth's "Lingaa" has got a never-before opening at box office. Even though the official figures have not been released about its business, there are speculated trade reports on the Tamil movie's performance.
Based on those box office numbers, we bring you the top five collection records set by "Lingaa" at the box office.
1) "Lingaa" got the biggest opening (first day) of the year in Tamil Nadu as the film made ₹12.8 crore and broke the record of "Kaththi", which earned ₹12.5 crore.
2) "Lingaa" has approximately grossed ₹32 crore on the first day worldwide in two versions and became the biggest Tamil opener of the year. It beat Vijay's "Kaththi", which had made ₹ 23.45 crore on the first day.
3) "Lingaa" registered the highest collection for the year in Chennai in the first weekend by making ₹2.70 crore. It beat Suriya's "Anjaan", which had made ₹2.36 crore in the capital city of Tamil Nadu.
4) "Lingaa" registered the biggest all time first weekend record as it grossed ₹86 crore (Unconfirmed). Once again, it has beaten "Kaththi", which grossed ₹71 crore worldwide.
5) "Lingaa" has got the biggest opening weekend of the year for a Tamil movie in international circuits like the US (₹8.41 crore) and Canada (₹4.24 lakh). It broke the records of "Kaththi" that had earned ₹3.42 crore and ₹3.55 lakh respectively.
"Lingaa" was released worldwide on 12 December for Rajinikanth's birthday. The Tamil movie starring Rajinikanth, Anushka Shetty and Sonakshi Sinha has been released in 3,000 screens worldwide.
The KS Ravikumar directorial has opened to mixed reviews. The movie, which has been released simultaneously in Telugu, is bank-rolled by Rockline Venkatesh and distributed by Eros International. The film is made with the budget of ₹120 crore.
However, after the first weekend, the collections of Rajinikanth's "Lingaa" have seen a dip.