CSK
Madras High Court flatly rejected the petition filed by CSK Cricket LimitedRon Gaunt/SPORTZPICS/IPL

A Committee headed by Justice RM Lodha had banned Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Rajasthan Royals (RR) on 14 July, 2015 following the IPL spot-fixing scandal back in 2013.

CSK Cricket Limited (the owners of CSK) filed a petition to the Madras High Court, challenging the two-year ban following those findings from the Supreme Court constituted bench. On Wednesday, the Madras High Court dismissed CSK's plea, challenging the ban.

The petition that CSK Cricket Limited had filed at the Madras High Court, was rejected saying that it was not maintainable. 

The first bench of Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice TS Sivagnanam have also dismissed the petition filed by BJP leader Subramanium Swamy on the same grounds.

Swamy said he is not satisfied by the decision of the Madras High Court and he is going to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court. 

"How can they be punished for the alleged misdemeanor of Gurunath Meiyyappan [the son-in-law of N Srinivasan, whose company owns CSK]. There is no allegation of match-fixing against him, too," Swamy told the reporters on Wednesday. 

"I am going to tell the Supreme Court that it was not genuine PIL proceedings." 

Rajasthan Royals, who were also banned for two years, have, so far, not filed any petition challenging the Lodha panel's verdict.

The majority of the CSK and RR players will be up for auction on 6 February, although the likes of MS Dhoni, Ravindra Jadeja and Suresh Raina were picked up by the two new franchises -- Rising Pune Supergiants and Team Rajkot -- in a specially constituted IPL Draft.

Also read