As HTC has disbanded the official software support to the 2013 flagship smartphone One M7, users now have to rely on custom ROM.
Google Plus Android ROM is one such custom firmware, which promises good user-experience enhancing features and also improvements in performance on HTC One M7.
The new Google Plus custom has been created by XDA Developer Forum's recognised member santod040 and is based on the 6.04.1700.6 CL536258 release-keys. It brings numerous new features and performance tweaks which include:
- Added Aroma installer for user customization
- Option to disable SeLinux during install
- Material Lite is the default theme
- DARK Material theme in Aroma (optional)
- Custom Wake Gestures
- App Ops in settings
- Latest SuperSU
- System Write protection disabled
- Advanced Power Menu
- Clear All Recents
- Personalize section in settings
- Volume Panel Timeout
- Show Ime notification
- Volume Keys move cursor
- Capacitive buttons light with screen on
- Option to enable navbar & disable buttons
- Navigation Bar height(32,36,42,48 if enabled)
- Clock position(remove, right, center, left)
- Clock Am/Pm (normal, small, none)
- Battery Style (portrait, land, circle, text, hide)
- Battery Percent (hide, inside icon, next to icon)
- Show alarm icon switchbox
- One finger pulldown QS switchbox
- Double Tap 2 sleep status bar switchbox
- Enable Heads up toggle
- Heads up timeout (1-10 seconds)
- Long press back to kill app toggle
- Music controls toggle and options
- Quick Unlock
- Scramble pin
- Lockscreen shortcuts
- Network traffic indicator
- --color style, display unit, update interval
- --auto hide, inactivity threshold
- Ambient Display
- Power widget enabled for all launchers
- Google Keyboard
- Material design V4A for both Dark and Lite UI's
- Brightness slider in status bar pulldown
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing custom ROM):
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward with custom ROM installation
- The new Google Plus Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM should be installed on the HTC One M7 (GSM) model only, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (HTC One M8) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes, Indiacannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Guide for Google Plus Edition Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on HTC One M7 (GSM) model:
Step 2: Connect HTC One M7 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Place boot.img file in to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
Step 5: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 6: Perform the regular Bootloader mode sortie, by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 7: After entering the Bootloader mode (on the phone), go to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory (on the PC) and open Command prompt, then type in: 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' and press enter.
(To enter Command prompt: Shift + right-click >> open Command Prompt)
Step 8: Type - 'fastboot reboot' and press enter. Then, follow instructions displayed on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER option to enter Recovery Mode.
Step 9: After entering the Recovery mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 10: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 11: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 12: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 13: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 14: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now your device (HTC One M7) will take at a few minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Google Plus Edition Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM .
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, santod040, CM, Flar2, loserskater, enewman17]