Last month, Google disbanded software update service to 2012 flagship smartphone Nexus 4 as the device went past its three-year life cycle.
However, that doesn't mean Nexus 4 owners will be stuck with Android v5 series Lollipop OS. They can still upgrade their device to the latest v6.0 Marshmallow so through Pure Nexus Project custom ROM.
Besides the goodies offered by Android v6.0, The Pure Nexus Project firmware promises to offer bug fixes, stability improvements and other features.
Salient features of Pure Nexus Project include:
- Fully working VoLTE (Voice over LTE)
- Native Print PRL/Profile update
- Advanced Reboot menu
- Hostname customisation options
- More special characters, smileys added to keyboard keys set
- Performance tweaks
- Optimisation to enhance battery life and many more features are added improve user-experience on Nexus 4
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- This new The Pure Nexus Project Android Marshmallow custom ROM has to be installed on the LG-Google Nexus 4 (aka Mako) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers in the PC, or else your phone (Google Nexus 4) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of The Pure Nexus Project Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on LG-Google Nexus 4-
Step 1: After downloading The Pure Nexus Project Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps (Gapps) on to the PC, connect LG-Google Nexus 4 (aka Mako) to PC via USB chord.
Step 2: Place Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's memory.
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP].
Step 3: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 7: Navigate back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android Marshmallow ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 4) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of The Pure Nexus Project Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.
The Pure Nexus Project Android Marshmallow custom ROM Downloadable files:
The Pure Nexus Project Android Marshmallow custom ROM: HERE
USB Driver: HERE
[Credits: Team Android]