fire in building
[Representational Image] National Museum of Natural History in New Delhi was destroyed in the massive fire that broke early on Tuesday morning, April 26, 2016. Picture: Firefighters try to douse the flames after a fire broke out in a commercial building at a textile market in Surat in the western Indian state of Gujarat May 29, 2014.Reuters

UPDATE: 12:15 p.m. IST — Heavy damage has been caused to New Delhi's National Museum of Natural History where a fire broke out early on Tuesday morning, Asian News International quoted Delhi Fire Service Director JC Mishra as saying.

Some electrical equipment is believed to be the cause behind the fire that started on the top floor of the FICCI building, Mishra said.

"Most likely it started from some electrical equipment in the premises. Damage is too much, we've lost the valuables," ANI quoted him as saying.

Original Story —

National Museum of Natural History in Delhi's Mandi House was reportedly gutted in a massive fire that broke out early on Tuesday morning. The cause of the fire, which started on the top floor of the FICCI building and later spread to the other floors, is not known.

At least six firemen sustained injuries while trying to douse the flames and were rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, NDTV reported. Two of the them are said to be in critical condition. 

As many as 35 fire tenders were rushed to the spot when the fire broke out around 1:45 a.m., Press Trust of India reported. 

Flames could be seen billowing out of the top floor of the complex six hours after the fire broke out, Asian News International reported.

The museum, the FICCI Auditorium and FICCI headquarters are located in the same complex where the fire broke out. However, the fire did not spread to the two other buildings.

"Building's fire safety mechanisms were not working" when the incident took place, Fire Officer Rajesh Panwar told ANI.

The building was being renovated so there were not many people inside the building. All those who were inside the building were safely evacuated before the fire tenders arrived at the spot.

The National Museum of Natural History was established in 1972 and operates under the Ministry of Environment and Forests.