Update: 3:40 p.m. IST -- "Clash Royale" new balance changes update is currently live for many players across countries.
"Clash Royale," the latest popular mobile game from the developers of "Clash of Clans," Supercell, is a mash-up of card game and tower defence. The game servers are currently under maintenance for some users even as it is expected to receive a new update that will bring balance changes.
However, the update is being carried out in phases and might be live in some countries considering Supercell made an announcement on the update via a Twitter post.
Supercell also said in its release notes that this is the first round of balance changes that the game has received since its release worldwide. The company also revealed that these balance changes could be a monthly affair in order to fine tune the gameplay.
Supercell explained that the card balance in "Clash Royale" is a "combination of playtesting and looking at the stats" and in particular, the "card use rate and win rates across all levels of the play."
Supercell said that the focus in the core design principles is "offence over defence," and said the players will be hearing about it more often.
Highlighting the reason behind the balance changes, it said that the update would tackle some annoying defensive combinations and some underused cards.
Here are the notes released from developer ("Clash Royale" blog):
X-Bow: Range decreased to 12 (from 13)
- We want to open the X-Bow up to a little bit more counterplay. A range reduction will mean you can no longer position it behind a Tesla, as well as across the river, and still hit your opponent's tower!
Tesla: Hit speed decreased to 0.8sec (from 0.7sec), lifetime decreased to 40sec (from 60sec)
- The Tesla's use rates and win rates don't show it as being overpowered; however, another of core design principles is that all cards should have weaknesses and counters, whereas the Tesla doesn't clearly have any. A lower hit speed will reduce its DPS versus bigger targets significantly, and also make it more vulnerable to groups of troops.
Cannon: Lifetime decreased to 30sec (from 40sec)
- The Cannon offers a bit too much defensive power and value for 3 Elixir. A lower lifetime will reduce its staying power.
Princess: Hit points decreased by 10 percent
- When playing with Tournament Rule card levels, as a baseline we think Arrows should be able take out the Princess for an even Elixir trade. This hitpoint reduction ensures that's the case. Additionally, the Princess has a very high use rate and could do with some added vulnerability overall.
Ice Wizard: Damage increased by 5 percent
- The Ice Wizard's main strength is control, but he could do with a little bit of extra damage to increase his value and make him more of a threat.
Prince: Charge speed decreased by 13 percent
- The Prince is currently the most used card in the game, but despite very popular opinion, he isn't overpowered when looking at his win rates. However, his ability to take down a tower on his own when left unchecked can be quite startling. Slowing down his charge speed a notch will give more time to react and counter.
Dark Prince: Charge speed decreased by 13 percent
- Both Princes ride the same breed of horse, and therefore it makes perfect sense that they move at the same speed!
Valkyrie: Hitpoints and damage increased by 10 percent
- The Valkyrie's use rates are quite low, as she still needs to find her place in the world. More damage and health should help her get there.
Royal Giant: Damage increased by 20 percent
- The Royal Giant's use rates and win rates are very low, showing that he is clearly underpowered. We wanted to give him significantly more damage, instead of boosting his hitpoints, so he could fulfill his dreams of becoming a wrecking ball.
Giant: Damage increased by 5 percent
- Giving the Giant a bit more damage, instead of hitpoints, will make him a more compelling choice overall, without making him any more potent on defense.
Rage: Gives 40 percent movement and attack speed boost (from 35 percent), duration decreased by 20 percent
- Rage can be an exciting and surprising card to see in action, but it's currently not quite strong enough to make the cut in most decks. By increasing the boost to 40 percent and lowering the duration, Rage will be a more intense and stronger offensive tool overall.
Poison: Damage increased by 5 percent
- Poison has fairly low use rates. A bit of damage over time will make it a more interesting choice next to Fireball and the other damage spells.
Mirror: Legendary Cards mirrored 1 level lower
- The Mirror is creating Legendary Cards at a disproportionately high level (slightly). After this change a level 5 Mirror will make a level 2 Legendary Card, and so on.
Three Musketeers: Cost decreased to 9 (from 10)
- Three Musketeers have a very low use rate. 9 Elixir will make them better value and less risk, hopefully increasing their allure.
Archers: Quicker initial attack (like Spear Goblins)
- The Archers' use rate falls off after the early game, while the Spear Goblins remain popular across all levels. We're making their initial attack quicker, so they'll feel more responsive and effective.
Balloon: Hitpoints increased by 5 percent
- The Balloon has low use rates at the top, and many enemies. More hitpoints should help it get to those towers!
Witch: Damage increased by 5 percent
- The Witch has very low use rates at the top. She needs a bit more damage to become relevant again.
"Clash Royale" was released as a freemium mobile strategy video game on Jan. 4, 2016.