children food poisoning
[Representational Image] At least 50 students fell ill after consuming mid-day meal at a school in Maharashtra's Palghar town. Picture: The breakfast provided by the hospital is kept beside Saurav Kumar, a sick boy who consumed contaminated meals given to children at a school on Tuesday, in the eastern Indian city of Patna July 18, 2013.Reuters

Bihar Police have arrested a fast food vendor after at least 100 children fell ill in Jagdishpur area of Bihar's Bhagalpur district after eating the contaminated chow mein he was selling.

The vendor has been identified as Dhananjay Kumar.

The incident occurred on Wednesday when the children had gone to a fair.

"Soon after the children ate chow mein at a village fair in Bade and Khushalpur villages, they first complained of uneasiness followed by vomiting. Some of them fainted," IANS quoted a district official Harishankar Prasad Singh as saying.

The children were initially rushed to a primary health centre at Jagdishpur from where they were shifted to Bhagalpur Medical College and Hospital as their health deteriortated on Wednesday night. 

All the children are now out of danger. Doctors attending the children at the hospital said it was a case of food poisoning.

"All are now out of danger and would be discharged by Thursday evening," said RC Mandal, superintendent of the medical college.

District civil surgeon Ram Chander Prasad said that a team led by a food inspector will probe the incident.

Earlier, an ANI report had suggested that the children fell ill after eating Chhath puja prasad (religious food offering).