Chilies
An American man, 47, got a hole in his food pipe after eating world' hottest chilies bhut jolokia also called ghost peppers which are grown in India. [Representational image]Reuters

The heat of the world's hottest chilli, Bhut jolokia, pierced an inch-wide hole in a 47-year-old American man's throat, who was having a burger smothered in a puree made using Bhut jolokia or ghost peppers. These extremely hot ghost peppers are grown in India - Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Nagaland and Manipur.

The man started vomiting moments after having the burger dressed with the dead hot puree. He threw up violently which led to the formation of a hole in his oesophagus.

He was rushed to the hospital after he began reeling on the floor, states the Journal of Emergency Medicine.

The doctors operated him immediately after spotting an inch-wide hole on the left side of his oesophagus.

Apart from his food pipe getting severely damaged, an abdomen and pelvic scan also revealed a build up of air, fluid and food inside his body.

For 14 days, this man was given a tube to support his breathing. The doctors operated him and placed a feeding tube. He stayed in the hospital for nine more days till he recovered enough to get discharged.

This 47-year-old suffered from a life-threatening condition called Boerhaave syndrome, which is an outcome of excess vomiting. The first case of this sort was reported way back in 1724 by a Dutch doctor named Herman Boerhaave. Diagnosing Boerhaave syndrome is not easy due to limited symptoms, the Sun reported.

The reason behind the tearing of the oesophagus due to the ghost pepper still remains a mystery.

Quick Links