Busted: Restaurant in Nigeria Served Human Meat, Roasted Head
A restaurant in Nigeria was found to have used human flesh to serve delicacies to its patrons. The revelation came after the local police, acting on a tip-off, raided the place and recovered two human heads.
The restaurant, located in a popular market area in the Anambra state, was closed, after 11 people, including the hotel owner, were arrested by the police.
Even though there has been several stray incidents of cannibalism, this was said to be the first time a Nigerian eatery was found to have been using human flesh.
In the raid, the police had also recovered two army caps, 40 rounds of live ammunition and several cell phones, the local daily Nigeria Tribune reported. The tip-off was given by some of the local residents.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Each time I came to market, because the hotel is very close to the market, I always noticed funny movements in and out of the hotel; dirty people with dirty characters always come into the hotel. So, I was not surprised when the police made this discovery," a vegetable seller in the area told Osundefender.
A Nigerian pastor was also among the people, who were served human meat at the restaurant. "I was told that a lump of meat was being sold at N700, I was surprised. So I did not know it was human meat that I ate at such expensive price," he said.
Several cases of cannibalism have emerged in Nigeria and there has been an increasing public anger against such incidents. When such cases are reported, the public often takes matter into their hands and tries to set an example against cannibalistic behavior.
Back in September, it was reported that two men, who were branded cannibals and human flesh eaters, barely escaped lynching in Lagos. The two alleged cannibals were almost set ablaze by a restless crowd, before the local police intervened.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Apple Inc Accused of Tax Avoidance in Australia After Beating Samsung as Most Desired Brand in Emerging Markets
- Nigerian Woman Delivers Healthy Baby Boy Four Years after Getting Pregnant
- Forbes 2014 Billionaires List: Sheryl Sandberg, Sara Blakely, Oprah Winfrey Join Global Super Rich Club
- India makes Oral Polio Vaccination (OPV) Must for Visitors
- Nigeria Says Fines Airtel, Others for Poor Service
- Nigerian Islamists Kill 59 Pupils in Boarding School Attack
- Islamists Kill 47 in Attack in Northeast Nigeria - Police
- India Among Five Most Dangerous Countries for Journalists in 2013 - INSI
- Suspected Islamists Kill 90 in Nigeria Village Raid - Witnesses