Box Office Collection (India): Vijay's 'Jilla' Ahead of Ajith's 'Veeram' in Opening Weekend
Both films, which released on 10 January, have been performing well at the box office thanks to the presence of big stars like Ajith, Vijay and Mohanlal. "Veeram" and "Jilla" made a good opening on the first day of its release in India. The films are performing equally well in certain markets.
However, when taking into account the overall first weekend collections from India, "Jilla" has raced ahead of "Veeram". According to reports, "Jilla" earned ₹20 crore nett in the first weekend at the Indian box office, whereas "Veeram" has fetched ₹17.8 crore.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
But "Veeram" business was higher than "Jilla" in Tamil Nadu. The Ajith starrer has reportedly minted ₹15.5 crore nett in the state, while "Jilla" raked in ₹14.5 crore nett during the opening weekend. [Note: The screen count for both the films varies]
The success of "Veeram" and "Jilla" has been neck-to-neck in Karnataka and the rest of India. However, the Kerala market has played a major role in putting "Jilla" ahead of "Veeram" in its opening weekend collections.
The presence of Mohanlal and Vijay (who also enjoys a good fan following in Kerala) has worked in favour of "Jilla" in the state. The action-packed entertainer, which released in more than 200 screens, took a fantastic opening on the first day of its release. The film raked in ₹1.95 crore nett (₹2.6 crore gross) on the debut day, which is an all-time record. Its three-day collections stand at approximately ₹4 crore (nett). But "Veeram" has not performed that well and earned approximately ₹0.9 crore in three days at the Kerala box office.
On the whole, both films are performing exceptionally well and are turning out to be big hits. They are likely to continue their business till the end of January as there are no big Tamil releases.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Lok Sabha Election 2014: Jayaprada, Jayasudha to Plunge into Poll Fray
- Aamir Khan Hails Kangana Ranaut's 'Queen' as Must Watch
- Nokia X Android Smartphone Officially Launched in India; Price, Availability Details
- Shah Rukh, Deepika, Farah, Madhoo and Others Attend Juhi Chawla's Brother Bobby's Funeral [PHOTOS]
- Honda Activa 125 Official Brochures Leak Online; Price and Features Details
- Shanvi Srivastava Receives Praises for ‘Chandralekha’ Performance
- Superstar Rajinikanth's 'Kochadaiiyaan' May Get Screened in Cannes Film Festival
- Virat Kohli Leads ICC ODI Rankings; India Retains Second Position
- Kannada Actress Ramya Invites Volunteers to Campaign for Her
- John Sculley, Apple Ex-CEO to Build Smartphone Firm in India