Mistaken Identity: Indian Army Spends 6 Months Tracking 'Chinese Spy Drones', But Finds They Were Planets
The Indian army has reportedly spent six months tracking what they thought was Chinese spy drones, but later found out they were just celestial objects - Jupiter and Venus.
The army personnel documented 329 sightings of unidentified objects moving near Pangong Tso in the border region, shared by the two Asian countries, for over six months between August 2012 and February 2013. The military also claimed the "unidentified flying objects (UFOs)" spotted above eastern Ladakh violated the border region which is known as the Line of Actual Control (LAC) at least 155 times, reported the Kolkata-based Telegraph newspaper.
They suspected that it could be the Chinese spy drones keeping a surveillance at the Indian border. To determine whether they were celestial objects, the Indian military approached two astronomers from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore. "Our task was to determine whether these unidentified objects were celestial or terrestrial," astronomer Tushar Prabhu told the Telegraph.
Prabhu and his colleague were informed that one of the objects appeared nearly 5,000 metres above sea level from about 6 pm and stayed there until 5 am the next day. Another object appeared at 4 am but became invisible at around 11 am on the same day.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The astronomers detected the movements of the objects in relation to the stars and found they were just two planets - Jupiter and Venus. The planets appeared brighter in the sky due to different atmosphere at altitude, according to the daily. The apparent movements of the planets were due to the rotation of Earth.
The place where this incident happened is known for disputes between India and China. In recent years, tensions have prevailed in the disputed border area with India often claiming that China is making incursions into its territory.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Watch IPL 2014 Match 10: Rajasthan Royals vs Chennai Super Kings Live Streaming Information
- Fans Voted Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif as Veronica, Archie and Betty
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Kejriwal Files Nomination from Varanasi, Accuses Congress, BJP of Spending Black Money on Campaigning
- Android v4.4.2 KitKat Update Slated for Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S3 Variants Leaked; Firmware Tipped to Roll Out in May
- Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 KitKat Guide: April and May Release, When to Hit Your Region
- OnePlus One Phablet with CyanogenMod 11S Android KitKat OS, 3GB RAM Unveiled; Price, Availability Details