Holi 2013: Spectacular Images of Lathmar Holi Celebrated in Mathura, Vrindavan [PHOTOS]
The festival of colours has started in India - from 22 March with "Lathmar Holi". Hundreds of people from across the country gathered at Barsana, a small village in Mathura district of Uttar Pradesh, to play Lathmar Holi.
Lathmar Holi takes places five or six days before the actual Holi in Uttar Pradesh. The festival marks the end of winter and beginning of spring. During Lathmar Holi, men from the neighbouring village of Nandgoan come to Barsana to play Lathmar Holi on the compound of Radha Rani temple.
According to Hindu mythology, Lord Krishna would go to Barsana, Radha's village, to playfully tease her and other gopis by throwing coloured water on them. In retaliation, Radha and Gopis would chase Krishna and his friends to beat him up with sticks.
It is said that when Krishna was small he was jealous of Radha because she was fair. He pestered his mother Yashoda about his dark complexion so much that she suggested him to put colour on Radha's face and change her complexion.
Till today, the ritual is followed and men soaked in coloured water arrive in Barsana and sing provocative songs to attract the attention of the local women. The women then beat them with wooden sticks called lathis while the men use shields to protect themselves.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The festival of colours is celebrated for 16 days in Vrindavan and Mathura, where lord Krishna was born and grew up. During the festival the places like Mathura, Vrindavan, Nandagaon and Barsana attract lots of tourists.
It is most celebrated in Braj, a region around Mathura-Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh.
This year, the main Holi day falls on 27 March.
Have a look at the Lathmar Holi celebrations in Photos here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Pre-order Stopped in India; New Device Priced More Than Galaxy S4
- Box Office Collection: ‘Shaadi Ke Side Effects’ Earns ₹30 Crore in 1 Week; ‘Gunday’ Completes 21 Days
- Panasonic P31 Smartphone Launched In India; Price, Specification Details
- INS Kolkata Accident: One Commander Rank Officer Dies in Another Naval Mishap Days After INS Sindhuratna Fire
- Amitabh Bachchan Turns Rapper With Honey Singh for ‘Bhoothnath Returns’ [PHOTOS]
- Vespa Super-Premium Scooter 946 to be Priced at ₹9 Lakh
- I'll Continue till I Become Burden for Pakistan, Says Shahid Afridi
- Sensex, Nifty Rally to Record Highs; ICICI Jumps 7 Percent
- ‘Gulaab Gang’ Review Roundup: Too Many Songs Spoil the Film
- KTM RC 390 Spied Testing in India; Hints at Imminent Launch