'Vishwaroopam' Box Office Collection: Kamal Haasan's Controversial Film Earns ₹5 Crore In Tamil Nadu
Superstar Kamal Haasan's controversial film, "Vishwaroopam" rocked at the box office despite the delay in its release in many Indian states, earning more than ₹5 crore from Tamil Nadu state alone.
It is reported that the Tamil version, "Vishwaroopam", which was released in 600 theatres across the state on Thursday, raked in more than ₹5 crore on the opening day. The collection is expected to shoot up in the weekend.
The overseas box office collection of the Tamil and Telugu versions in the second weekend is ₹7.64 crore, and the domestic box office collection of the Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" in seven days is ₹11.50 crore, according to trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh.
All the three versions (Tamil, Telugu and Hindi) of the film was originally scheduled for release worldwide on Jan 25 but it was released only abroad due to legal due to protests by Muslim groups who alleged that a few scenes portrayed the community in bad light.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" was released in about 800 theatres on Feb 1 but the Tamil version was delayed after the Jayalalithaa government imposed banned on its screening citing Section 144 of CrPC despite clearance by the censor board.
The 11-day ban in Tamil Nadu reportedly cost the actor-producer between ₹30 and ₹50 crore.
The makers of the film finally announced the release date of the film in Tamil Nadu after the state government lifted the ban following an "amicable settlement" with the Muslim groups.
Kamal Haasan not only wrote and directed "Vishwaroopam" but also co-produced it with Chandra Haasan and Prasad Vara Potluri. It features Kamal, Rahul Bose, Pooja Kumar, Andrea Jeremiah and Jaideep Ahlawat in the lead roles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Australia, South Korea Finally Has Free Trade Agreement, A Win for Agriculture, Meat Exports
- Ex-RBS Trader Tan Chi Min Drops Unfair Dismissal Claim Over Libor-Fix ‘Scapegoat’ Sacking
- RBS’s Philip Hampton: Europe Rate-Fix Cartel Fine ‘Sobering Reminder’ of Bank’s Past Failings [VIDEO]
- China to Contest US Anti-Dumping Measures at WTO
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill: BP Wins US Appeals Court Order Halting Some Spill Payments
- Thalidomide Class Action: AU$89 Million Paid to Over 100 Victims in Australia and New Zealand
- Australian and New Zealand Thalidomide Victims Receive $89m Payout From Diageo
- A Fourth Child is on the Way for NBA Superstar Michael Jordan
- UK Celebrities Criticise Israeli Plan to Evict 70,000 Palestinian Bedouins
- India Talks Tough on WTO, but does not Rule out Deal
‘Krrish 3’ Box Office Collection: Has Hrithik Starrer Really Shattered ‘Chennai Express’ Record in India?
‘Ram-leela’ Box Office Collection: Ranveer-Deepika Starrer Becomes 4th Highest Grossing Film in India