'Vishwaroopam' Box Office Collection: Kamal Haasan's Controversial Film Earns ₹5 Crore In Tamil Nadu
Superstar Kamal Haasan's controversial film, "Vishwaroopam" rocked at the box office despite the delay in its release in many Indian states, earning more than ₹5 crore from Tamil Nadu state alone.
It is reported that the Tamil version, "Vishwaroopam", which was released in 600 theatres across the state on Thursday, raked in more than ₹5 crore on the opening day. The collection is expected to shoot up in the weekend.
The overseas box office collection of the Tamil and Telugu versions in the second weekend is ₹7.64 crore, and the domestic box office collection of the Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" in seven days is ₹11.50 crore, according to trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh.
All the three versions (Tamil, Telugu and Hindi) of the film was originally scheduled for release worldwide on Jan 25 but it was released only abroad due to legal due to protests by Muslim groups who alleged that a few scenes portrayed the community in bad light.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" was released in about 800 theatres on Feb 1 but the Tamil version was delayed after the Jayalalithaa government imposed banned on its screening citing Section 144 of CrPC despite clearance by the censor board.
The 11-day ban in Tamil Nadu reportedly cost the actor-producer between ₹30 and ₹50 crore.
The makers of the film finally announced the release date of the film in Tamil Nadu after the state government lifted the ban following an "amicable settlement" with the Muslim groups.
Kamal Haasan not only wrote and directed "Vishwaroopam" but also co-produced it with Chandra Haasan and Prasad Vara Potluri. It features Kamal, Rahul Bose, Pooja Kumar, Andrea Jeremiah and Jaideep Ahlawat in the lead roles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- GTA 5: Xbox One, PlayStation 4 Versions Get Listed by Romanian Retailer; Glitch Lets You Make Unlimited Money after 1.12 Patch
- Israel Appropriates Land in West Bank - Newspaper
- 'Suits' Season 3 Finale [Episode 16] RECAP 'No Way Out': Mike Decides to Become Harvey's Client [SPOILERS]
- Hrithik Roshan Did Not Quit 'Shuddhi' over Profits, Clarifies Karan Johar
- “Suits” Season 3 RECAP Episode 15, ‘Know When to Fold Em’: Harvey is Upset [Spoilers]
- Mars One Mission: Student Among 1000 Finalists, Project Simulates Mars on Earth
- Abbas Signs International Conventions; Kerry Cancels Visit
- Ray J Has a New Sex Tape to Piss Off Kim Kardashian? Find Out Kanye West’s Reaction
- If Modi Wins Election, Neighbours Can Expect a More Muscular India
- Putin Calls Obama to Discuss U.S. Proposal on Ukraine - White House