India's 64th Republic Day Celebrations in Pictures
India celebrated its 64th Republic Day on Saturday with a grand display of its military might and rich cultural exhibits.
The grand parade ceremony commenced at Rajapath, New Delhi, after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with Defence minister A.K Antony and Chiefs of the Defence force laid wreaths at Amar Jyothi to pay tribute to the armed members who sacrificed their lives for the nation.
The customary 21-gun salute was followed by the unfolding of the national flag by President Pranab Mukherjee. Saturday was Mukherjee's first Republic day celebration after being elected as president.
Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck was the chief guest at India's 64th Republic Day Celebrations in New Delhi.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
The synchronized march past by Military and police contingent was led by General Officer Commanding (Delhi) Lt General Subroto Mitra.
Besides the top officials of the government including Vice President Hamid Ansari and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, thousands of people had watched the march past in the national capital.
The country showed its military strength with the MBT Arjun Tank, Armoured Ambulance Tracked Vehicle, BrahMos missiles and 214 mm Pinaka rockets, 15 Metre Sarvatra Bridging System PTI reported.
The most spectacular and eye catching event was the display of the 5,500-5,800 km ballistic Agni-V missile developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Bajaj Discover 125 Launched in India; Price, Features Details
- Six Nations Where to Watch Live: Ireland vs Italy Live Streaming Information
- International Women’s Day: From Mira Nair to Farah Khan, Women Directors in the Industry
- English Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs Tottenham Live Streaming Information
- English Premier League Preview: West Brom vs Manchester United Live Streaming Information
- FA Cup Quarterfinals Where to Watch Live: Arsenal vs Everton Live Streaming Information
- Singapore Buys A330 Air Tankers, India in Talks - Airbus
- Sensex, Nifty Hit Record Highs; Banking, Realty Stocks Surge
- Government to Set up Inflation Target, RBI to Implement - Chidambaram
- Kejriwal takes Aim at Modi's Economic Model