Mary Kom to Get Padma Bhushan; Rahul Dravid, Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore in the List
Veteran boxer MC Mary Kom, who made India proud by winning a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics, has been reportedly finalized for the Padma Bhushan award, India's third highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan.
The five-time world champion hit the headlines last year after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
It is also reported that Rahul Dravid, who retired from international cricket last year after scoring more than 24,000 runs from 164 Tests and 344 ODIs, is being considered for the Padma Bhushan. Other personalities in the list are late actor Rajesh Khanna, actress Sharmila Tagore and two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar.
Scientists Prof Yashpal and Roddam Narasimha have been reportedly selected for Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award, and actress Sridevi for Padma Shree.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Mers-CoV: Pregnant Woman Dies after Delivery in UAE's First Virus Death
- Tunisia: 50 Police Injured in Clashes with Youths
- Former Premier League Star Arrested in Match Fixing Sting
- World's Worst Earthquakes 'Caused by Man' [VIDEO]
- South Africa vs India 2nd ODI Score: Amla, De Kock Slam Centuries, But Bowlers Fight Back
- ‘R… Rajkumar’ Box Office Collection: Shahid Starrer Gets Good Response from Audiences