Mary Kom to Get Padma Bhushan; Rahul Dravid, Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore in the List
Veteran boxer MC Mary Kom, who made India proud by winning a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics, has been reportedly finalized for the Padma Bhushan award, India's third highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan.
The five-time world champion hit the headlines last year after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
It is also reported that Rahul Dravid, who retired from international cricket last year after scoring more than 24,000 runs from 164 Tests and 344 ODIs, is being considered for the Padma Bhushan. Other personalities in the list are late actor Rajesh Khanna, actress Sharmila Tagore and two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar.
Scientists Prof Yashpal and Roddam Narasimha have been reportedly selected for Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award, and actress Sridevi for Padma Shree.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Western Countries Alarmed as Libya Slides Towards Chaos
- Global Warming, Rising Sea Levels Will Wipe Out Statue of Liberty, Tower of London, Sydney Opera House; 100 Other Cultural Landmarks At Risk
- Ranveer, Priyanka, Anushka, Farhan in Zoya Akhtar's 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Salman Khan Lauds Pulkit Samrat, Compares to Aamir Khan
- Domestic Car Sales up 1.39 Percent in February
- Box Office Collection: ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ Dominates Over Hindi Releases; ‘Shaadi Ke Side Effects’ Falls